Spicy Waffles with Ham and Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup ham cubed into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 shaken buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg separated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Siracha to taste
- Dollop of sour cream/plain Greek yogurt
- Ketchup (Spicy ketchup if you LOVE heat)
1. Combine in a large bowl the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. In a different mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water, egg yolk, and butter.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until foamy.
5. Add the sugar into the foamy egg white.
6. Fold the sugar and egg white mixture into the batter.
7. Stir in the ham, cheese, and siracha into the batter -- You can add as much siracha as you would like!
8. Cook the batter in waffle iron.
9. Finish the waffle with a dollop of sour cream/yogurt, drizzle of ketchup, and sprinkle on some chives.