French Onion Soup
1. Cut onions into 1/4” pieces
2. Melt butter
3. Add onions and sugar to low heat. Caramelize for 30 to 45 minutes until golden
4. Mince 2 cloves of garlic
5. Remove thyme leaves from stems
6. Add garlic. Cook for about 1-2 minutes
7. Add wine, beef broth, bay leaf, thyme leaves, black pepper, & Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour. Remove bay leaf
8. While soup simmers, cut the baguette into to crouton size pieces. Cut the remaining garlic cloves in half and rub them on the bread.
9. Add the croutons onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
10. Broil on low for 2 minutes on each side **watch carefully so they do not burn
11. Ladle soup in crocks, add croutons, and cover the top with Swiss cheese
12. Broil until the cheese bubbles into a golden brown
13. Sprinkle any remaining thyme leaves
14. Let cool and ENJOY!